Monday, May 4, 2009

The man...


I went to the 90th birthday celebration of Pete Seeger last night at Madison Square garden with my parents, who have been fans since their early days as radicals in the 60's. If you don't know who he is, you at least know some of his songs. Since childhood, I pretty much guarantee it. Unless you grew up under a rock that is. For over seven decades he has fought for civil rights, peace, the environment, etc. He still is, plus he's influenced so many generations of musicians that last night looked like a who's who of the last 50 years in rock and Folk.

True music and film legends, African-American icons, Native American groups, even Obama, who sent a personal letter, all praised him. I have to say, the shit was touching, and more importantly, inspiring. My question is, who is going to replace people like Pete Seeger when they're gone?



No comments:

Post a Comment