Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Right on target...


THE JONES GIRLS - "On Target" Instrumental (RCA Recs 1983)

By 1983 The Jones Girls were an established act with hits under their belt. Even so, this is a lesser known track, but a really good one. A solid uptempo, boogieish production. The song was co-produced by Fonzi Thorton, who was an artist in his own right (Check out "(Uh Oh) There Goes My heart".)

I chose the B-side, which is the instrumental version of the album's title track. Really it's a dub in that the chorus and some backing vocals are included. Once again, I prefer this to the vocal version. I have to say, RCA records was killing it in the early 80's when it came to 12's. They put out many known classics (Evelyn "Champagne" King- "I'm I Love') as well as excellent releases that went under the radar of the general public, or that were limited to promo-only pressings, often with exclusive mixes.

CHECK IT OUT HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment