Friday, November 6, 2009

Depth Charge...


Floating Points - " Vacuum EP " ( Eglo Records UK 2009 )

A couple of months ago I picked up what would become my favorite House track is quite a while at Turntable Lab. It was on a label I knew little about from an artist I had heard of but associated with downtempo, experimental electronic stuff. That track was "Vacuum Boogie" of off the "Vacuum EP" by Floating Points on Eglo Records UK. From what I've read the man behind the EP has just recently started working in the House Music realm. If this is any indication he has a bright future ahead of him.

It's a record that has the elements I love in a track; deep, dubby, spacey, melodic and bass heavy. I was hooked from the first time I heard the hard, lo-fi drums which start the song. From there Floating Points builds up the track nicely, adding sounds after sound until the full groove is revealed in all it's sonic glory. Yeah, it's that good. One of those 12's I've listened to repeatedly at one time, happily getting up to put the needle back to the beginning again and again.



BUY IT ON VINYL HERE. Unfortunately, the record seems to be sold out at both Turntable Lab and Dopejams, the only two U.S. retailers I've seen the record stocked in. So that means ordering it from overseas unless the 12" can be tracked down domestically. You can always buy the digital version but I'm a vinyl guy so I'll let you figure that out on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment