Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rudeness...




Sun Palace - " Rude Movements " ( Passion Recs UK 1983 )

What can I say about this song? While it's not your typical "club" track because of it's tempo and laid-back vibe, it is a much loved early eighties classic for those familiar with it. The term "beautiful" comes to mind when describing it. I first heard this song as a kid on WBLS's late night show "The Quiet Storm." Known for playing slow jams and very mellow club tracks, "Rude Movements" was regularly played for years.

At that time I thought it was a Jazz record because of the instrumental solos that are featured. Little did I know it was actually a British 12" produced by a couple of guys who were experimenting with synths and drum machines. Later, I started to hear it in clubs during closing sets. I watched as the older club heads went crazy to it, doing their steps like they would to the early House records of the time. I never found out the name of the 12" and it was eventually forgotten.

Then some years later I was enthusiastically reintroduced to the song by Bobbito Garcia who considered it one of his favorites. After that I went on the hunt and was fortunate enough to find a copy for cheap. This is not a cheap record, to say the least. Look it up on Discogs or Ebay, it costs $$$$. If you do decide to track it down be aware that this is the B-side. The A-side is titled "Winning" so it might be easier to search for it under that name.


No comments:

Post a Comment