Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Restless natives...


This stencil was in front of Classickicks right above Houston St. Was the artist targeting sneakerheads? Hhmm.

To be honest, what's written here represents the sentiment which I hear from many native New Yorkers nowadays (actually for the last 10 years.) It's not easy to feel like a stranger in your own neighborhood, especially if it's the one you grew up in. Some may see this stencil as a bit extreme. I can understand that.

Some might also say the city has only benefited by the vast gentrification that has taken place. I wouldn't agree. Certain racial and economic groups certainly have reaped the rewards, while others have suffered greatly. I will say that gentrification has been way out of hand for a long time now and the city has been culturally decimated in a number of ways because of it.

I like that someone else completely flipped the piece with just a subtle black marker by adding an arrow inferring that "Damon Damon" isn't from here either. I wouldn't be shocked if he/she wasn't. That's a whole other story though....

No comments:

Post a Comment